Tip # 1: 动词优先（避免名词化）
- We should take into consideration several factors.
- He must make a decision about what to do.
- They gave us information about the new research program.
- We should take into consideration several factors. [7个字]
- He must make a decision about what to do. [9个字]
- They gave us information about the new research program. [9个字]
- We should consider several factors. [5个字]
- He must decide about what to do. [7个字]
- They informed us about the new research program. [8个字]
× The analysis of how X-factor impacts B gene expression was conducted. [11个字]
√ We analyzed X-factor’s impact on B gene expression. [8个字]
如果你查找常见的动词名词化，可以发现一个模式。动词使用像是“make”和“take”，动名词（verb + ing），或名词由-tion，-sion，-ment，-ence，和-ance结尾的，很高机率都有一个相对应 动词， 所以当你在修改英文时，利用寻找功能找出这些结尾和动词后修正就行。
- 无意义动词 + 动词名词形:删除无意义的，将动词名词形转换为主要动词。
- Joe will conduct research on the impact of the recent drought on local wildlife. → Joe will research the recent drought’s impact on local wildlife.
- The board will make a decision next week about whether to accept you next week. → The board will decide next week whether to accept you.
- The approval of the plan was given by the committee yesterday. → The committee approved the plan yesterday.
- Their interpretation of the implementation of the institute’s program was insightful. → They insightfully interpreted how the institute implemented its program.
- First was their introduction of their analysis of dreams by the trauma patients. → First, they introduced how they analyzed the trauma patients’ dreams.
- 当主词中的动词名词形与谓词的动词名词形时:将两个动词名词形转成动词，考量两者的关系并加上合理的连接词(because, when, if, although, even though, despite, etc.)。
- Her understanding of the situation was evidenced by the quitting of her job. → She understood the situation … she quit her job → When she quit her job, she showed she understood the situation.
- We made an agreement not to buy the house.
- They reached the conclusion that we should run a new cohort study.
- Our review of the test results will begin tomorrow.
- The discovery of a new planet by the Frankfurt Observatory excited the scientific community.
- The failure of the staff to organize the festival properly was a disappointment to us.
- The undertaking of building the new company was complicated by their lack of experience.
- We agreed to not buy the house.
- They concluded that we should run a new cohort study.
- Starting tomorrow, we will review the test results.
- The Frankfurt Observatory discovered a new planet, which excited the scientific community.
- When the staff failed to organize the festival properly, they disappointed us.
- They lacked experience, which complicated how they built the new company.
Tip # 2: 删除 “Of” (改写介系词片语)
- The blood pressure of the mice was elevated.
- The elephant teetered along the edge of the cliff.
- The focus of this project was to study the effects of increased global temperatures on local fish hatcheries.
- The blood pressure of the mice was elevated. [8 words]
- The elephant teetered along the edge of the cliff. [9 words]
- The focus of this project was to study the effects of increased global temperatures on local fish hatcheries. [19 words]
- The mice’s blood pressure was elevated. [6 words]
- The elephant teetered along the cliff’s edge. [7 words]
- This project examined how increased global temperatures affect local fish hatcheries. [11 words]
许多高度相关的情况下，例如两个名词之间的所有权，就可以删掉中间的介词。例如，句子中有「Noun1 of Noun 2」或「Location1 in Location2」，直接将第二个名词往前移并加上「’」 变成Noun1’s Noun2。
- The approval of the Food and Drug Administration was received yesterday. → The Food and Drug Administration’s approval was received yesterday.
- The studies were conducted at Max Laboratories in Chicago. → The studies were conducted at Chicago’s Max Laboratories.
:当被动语态的句子后面跟着「by」的时候 (Noun1 was/were + past participle + by + Noun2)，把by后面的名词改成句子主词写成主动语态。
- The approval of the plan was given by the committee. → The committee approved the plan yesterday.
- The seller agreed with reluctance. → The seller reluctantly agreed.
- He spoke with hesitation when he accepted the deal. → He spoke hesitantly as he accepted the deal.
- By chance, I finished work on time. → Fortuitously, I finished work on time.
- He got to the finish line. → He reached the finish line.
- Increased benefits can make up for long working hours. → Increased benefits can offset long working hours.
- In our current situation, we should decline the offer. → We should decline the offer.
动词跟「说」(例:ask, say, admit, argue, reply, agree, mention, explain, suggest, etc.) 或「心理状态」像是thinking、studying和deciding (例: know, understand, suppose, remember, forget, wonder, study, examine, decide, etc.)有关的，建议大胆尝试wh-子句来写出有力简洁的句子。
- The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of solar radiation on bioluminescence. → This study examined how solar radiation affects bioluminescence.
- Our mission was to conduct an investigation into the relationship between sunlight and plant growth. → We investigated how sunlight affects plant growth.
- The house of my mother sat on a big hill.
- The licensing of the software will be completed next week.
- The variables changed with little difference.
- The aim of our research was to assess the correlation between variable A and DNA replication rates.
- This paper was written to explore the way in which extra recess time and the test performance of students are related.
- To get back to you, we are looking back on what was done to figure out what we can do moving forward. [This one's hard. How short can you make this one?]
- My mother’s house sat on a big hill.
- The software licensing will be completed next week.
- The variables hardly changed.
- Our research aimed to assess how variable A affects DNA replication rates.
- This paper explores how extra recess time affects students’ test performance.
- We are examining the past to determine how we should proceed.